How to register your marriage before the French administration?

If you are a French national and got married in Australia, your marriage is not automatically registered in France. Therefore, there are a few things you need to do in order to receive your French Livret de Famille. Taking care of that paperwork as soon as possible makes future formalities such as registering the birth of a child much easier !

If you requested for the banns to be published before your wedding ( see article), things are simpler.

If you haven’t had the banns published, it is still possible to transcribe your Australian marriage certificate but it is a longer process.

  • You will need to complete a form as well as gather the following documents:
  • The Original of the Full MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE and a copy of it
  • A copy of the French citizen’s birth certificate. It must be less than three months old.
  • A certified copy of the foreign spouse’s birth certificate ( and a translation if it is not in French nor English)
  • A proof that one of the spouse holds the French Nationality (Recent Passeport, Carte Nationale d’Identité)
  • A photocopy of the spouses’ passports and visas
  • A proof of domicile ( bill, driver’s licence)
  • Two envelopes ” Express Post” with your address

And, when appropriate:

  • A certificate of the attorney having established the prenuptial agreement or any writing related to it
  • The Livret de Famille of the married couple

More infos on !