International travels with minors

If you are traveling with your children under the age of 18 without the other parent, it is very important that you bring with you a signed letter from the other parent attesting that he/she is aware of your trip, as well as a copy of his/her passport. In case you have a different family name than your children’s name, it is better to bring a bilingual birth certificate or a translation of your livret de famille. Without these documents, The Hague International Criminal Court could consider your plan to travel as a possible kidnapping and your journey might be aborted.

As a general rule, you should check the immigration department of the countries you will visit to be sure there are no other documents requested.

More information on the General Consulat of France website and the Service Public website.